
While the little one was staying with my mom, I began working at a new summer job. It's through a center at the school where I'm working on my PhD. Basically, I work with schools in juvenile correctional facilities on an education initiative called Response to Intervention or RtI. RtI uses data to provide educational interventions to students based on their individual needs. It's actually pretty cool!
What I love about this job is all of the travel that I'm able to do for it! I get to travel to many of the facilities in the state of Texas and work with the population that I'm interested in! It's a job that fell into my lap and is absolutely perfect for me! My ultimate goal is to do animal-assisted play therapy with incarcerated youth. I joined the Association for Play Therapy just for this reason. I'm also looking for a play therapy supervisor as well. Hopefully I've found one that will help me in reaching my goal. I'm hoping to get an idea of how to integrate this type of therapy into the juvenile justice system, especially with an educational aspect. This may ultimately be the focus of my dissertation.
On another note, I'm currently on vacation, visiting my little one, my mother, and a few family members who have come down from South Carolina.



Our family had its family reunion this past Saturday. It occurs every two years and I made it a point to come down just because of the fact that my family from across the country would be coming.
We had an absolute blast!!! I got to catch up with people I hadn't seen in a while, eat good food, and sweat off a lot of water weight thanks to the Houston heat and humidity. Unfortunately, I'll have to leave for work tonight and my family will be heading back to the Carolinas tomorrow morning. Sadly, it'll probably be another 2-4 years before I see them again.

In the intervening time, I have a conference I get to attend in beautiful Corpus Christi, TX. I'm actually quite excited by it! I'm pretty sure I'll be blogging about that experience soon!
Until then!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment